Black Friday approaches, although it’s kind of gotten lost in “Open on Thanksgiving” and “Cyber-Monday.” And if you want to win the cool tote bag pictured to the left, read on…
(And if one lives in the state of Alabama, the day after Thanksgiving has nothing to do with shopping and everything to do with the annual brawlfest known as the Iron Bowl, when bitter rivals Auburn University and the University of Alabama meet in football. I graduated from Bama and work at Auburn, so I’m seriously screwed, no matter how that goes down.)
So, let’s get to shopping early and consider what gifts we can buy for our writer friends (or ourselves, if our friends and family insist on going the sock-underwear-toaster route). In no order:
1. The Antique Typewriter Key Bracelet. Face it–computer keys aren’t nearly this cool. $49.99.
2. The Book Purse. Okay, these are kinda pricey for my budget–about $120–but I’m trying to think how to make one of my own.
3. The Liquid Bookmark. Really good for writers of vampire and other blood-sucking entities. $24 but worth it for the bizarro factor.
4. The Charlotte Bronte Writing Journal, for making all those character notes and keeping your book diaries. $16.95.
5. The Jane Austen Action Figure. Lounges around and produces clever quips. Oh, wait. You have to do that. She’ll watch. $11.95.
6. Book Lovers’ Trivial Pursuit. Because we’re nerdy and always did best on the literature questions in regular Trivial Pursuit. So now we can kick ass and take names and spell them correctly. About $40.
7. Godiva Chocolate Liqueur. Writers love chocolate, and writers love alcohol–it’s a proven fact. So why not combine the two? Guaranteed to bring on the muse, or a nap. $39.
8. Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook, by Donald Maas. Skip the book and go straight to the workbook. I swear to buy one of these to write in and think through before starting any novel, ever again. $13.49.
9. The Book Slut T-Shirt. Because we know who and what we are. $14.99.
10. The Threat Tote Bag. Our families and friends fear it will happen. And it could. Make my day, punk. $17, or WIN ONE HERE!
To be entered to win the tote bag, tell Santa what you most want for Christmas that’s writing or book related. I’ll draw a name at random on Friday. Before the Iron Bowl. (Roll Tide! War Eagle–Hey!)