Please join me in extending a warm welcome to fellow author Nina Croft. Nina is dropping by today as part of her virtual book tour celebrating the release of her latest book, Blood and Metal. Blood and Metal was published on August 24 by Entangled Select Otherworld and is the fifth book in Nina’s Dark Desires series. I’ll have a review of Blood and Metal tomorrow, as this series has become one of my favorites!
Nina Croft grew up in the north of England. After training as an accountant, she spent four years working as a volunteer in Zambia, which left her with a love of the sun and a dislike of nine-to-five work. She then spent a number of years mixing travel (whenever possible) with work (whenever necessary) but has now settled down to a life of writing and picking almonds on a remote farm in the mountains of southern Spain. Nina writes all types of romance, often mixed with elements of the paranormal and science fiction. You can learn more about Nina by visiting her website, on Facebook (twice!) and by following her on Twitter.
ABOUT BLOOK AND METAL: Copilot of the Blood Hunter, Daisy is a newly-turned vampire, and she’s hungry. Really hungry and it’s interfering with her plans for revenge. Unfortunately, the only thing that can distract her from said hunger is sex…which is a problem when she can barely refrain from draining any man dry within moments. But old flame Fergal Cain might just be the sexy-assed solution to her problem. Part human, part cyborg, and with a poison coursing through his system, Fergal’s running out of time to find the scientist who has the cure. Unfortunately for him, the misfit crew of the Blood Hunter put a serious kink in his plans. And if the poison doesn’t kill him, the hot little vamp he can’t resist might do the honors herself…
And now, let’s hear from Nina…
The Supporting Cast
By Nina Croft
My Dark Desires series takes place in the distant future where man has fled to the stars. It’s a mixture of science fiction, paranormal, and romance and it follows the adventures, romantic and otherwise, of the crew of the space ship, the Blood Hunter. And this week, book 5, BLOOD AND METAL, was released into the world.
Today, I thought I’d talk a little about the secondary characters in the book—the crew.
So how important are secondary characters and how much space should they be given
in a story? I think one of the main factors is how long is the book? There’s not much room for secondary character development in a novella. But genre also plays an important part as some types of stories need a tight cast and some a nice sprawling mass of characters. I especially love secondary characters in paranormal stories—they can be so interesting.
Secondary characters can come in many forms, side-kicks, best friends, enemies, family, work colleagues… But why are they there? Why include them at all or why not at least keep them firmly in the background? What roles do they play in the story? Here are a few things I came up with:
• Secondary characters make the main characters seem more real. Without them the hero and heroine exist within a vacuum.
• Secondary characters can add conflict, humor, depth, intrigue…
• They can help to show the hero or heroines real nature
• They can move the plot along
• For longer stories, they can be a source of subplots to enrich the main plot.
• In a series they can become the main characters of the next book.
In the case of Blood and Metal, because it’s book 5 in the series, most of the secondary characters have already had their own stories told, and found their own happy ever afters in previous books.
So who are the supporting cast of Blood and Metal? Here they are in couples:
• Rico and Skylar (Break Out) Rico is the pilot of the Blood Hunter. He’s also a 1600-year-old vampire. Skylar is immortal and telepathic, an ex-client and a trained soldier, she’s now the security officer on the ship.
• Jon and Alex (Deadly Pursuit) – Jon is a werewolf and was the most successful assassin in the universe. Alex used to be the High Priestess of the Church of Everlasting Life, until she ran away and disguised herself as a cabin boy on the Blood Hunter.
• Tannis and Callum (Death Defying) – Part snake, part human, all bitch, Tannis is the Captain of the Blood Hunter. She’s tough and she’ll take no nonsense from anyone, even a vampire. Callum used to be the Leader of the Universe (until he got bored with the role). He’s 500-years-old, telepathic, immortal and has these really cool wings
• Saffira and Devlin (Temporal Shift) – Saffira is a time-mancer and can control wormholes (unfortunately not very well.) She can also see the future, which is why, when she met Devlin, she knew they were meant to be lovers. Devlin is genetically modified, part Jaguar, part human. He’s the ex-leader of the Rebel Coalition, the most wanted man in the universe, and now acting engineer on the Blood Hunter.
So there they are—a motley mix of space pirates. Now all I have to do is decide who’s going to star in book 6!
Thanks Nina. Congrats on the release of Blood and Metal!
In association with Nina’s book tour, there is a tourwide giveaway including 2 sets of the paperback copies of the first three books in the series, Break Out, Deadly Pursuit and Death Defying. And, 5 ecopies of Temporal Shift, book 4
If you would like to be entered for your chance to win, you must leave a comment and then enter using the link below. Good luck!