I keep seeing these 5 Things about Me on Facebook (and never do them), so today I’ll do one, seeing as nothing other than I’m heading off to the day job in about ten minutes after a three-day weekend. See if we share any traits:
- My high school mascot was…you’ll love this…the Winfield Pirates. Our school colors were black and (Jean Lafitte’s favorite) gold.
- One of my favorite games as a kid (there were no computers so we actually had to use our imaginations) was…you’ll love this…”Pirate.” The boy who lived next door and I would brandish “swords” of big sticks and duel atop the wood pile, which was our ship. If we only had one ship, we obviously were on the same side so I am not sure why we were sword-fighting each other.
- A friend and I founded our high school literary magazine when we were juniors. We called it AXOLOTL, which is a type of lizard. We thought it sounded like a cool name. Yes, we were the weird, nerdy kids. Funny thing is, it’s still being produced and is still called AXOLOTL.
- My favorite Thanksgiving occurred when I lived in Houston. A friend (same one who co-founded AXOLOTL) flew down from where he was living in Tennessee. We bought wine and cheese and pate and bread and drove down to Stewart Beach in Galveston, sat on the deserted boardwalk, and fed the seagulls….until a bazillion of them gathered round for a bite, I had an Alfred Hitchcock moment (“The Birds” being my scariest movie to date), and we decided to leave.
- Prettiest places I’ve been: Austria (Salzburg and Innsbruck); Sunset Cliffs in San Diego; Cedar Key in Florida; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; and Oberammergau in Germany. Or at least those are the five that occur to me today.
For a shot at a TBR win, tell me some trivia about you!